top of page

Study Visa

Foreign nationals who intend to pursue their education at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in Canada for a period exceeding six months are generally required to obtain a study permit. This permit serves as an authorization from the Canadian government that allows international students to study in Canada, and is an essential requirement for non-Canadians who wish to pursue academic programs in the country.

A study permit is a crucial document that allows international students to stay in Canada and pursue their academic endeavors. However, it is important to note that a study permit does not serve as an entry visa to Canada, and students cannot enter the country with just this document alone. Depending on their country of origin, students may be required to obtain a visitor visa (Temporary Resident Visa, or TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) in addition to their study permit in order to enter Canada.

To successfully obtain a study permit, applicants must ensure that they have the necessary documents and information readily available. Some important documents to keep in mind include:

  • An acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)

  • Proof of identity (such as a passport or travel document)

  • Proof of financial support, including:

    • Payment of tuition fees

    • Proof of living expenses

    • A letter from a financial institution

  • A medical exam (if required)

  • A police certificate to demonstrate that you have no criminal record (if required)

  • Payment of the application fee


It is important to note that additional requirements may vary depending on your country of origin and individual circumstances. Be sure to thoroughly review the application requirements and process on the official Government of Canada website before applying for a study permit.

It is worth noting that elementary and secondary schools in Canada are not recognized as designated learning institutions (DLI), allowing international students to pursue their education at these institutions as well.

For what circumstances or situations are individuals exempt from applying for a study permit in Canada?


In Canada, there are certain situations where a study permit is not required to study. These include:

  • Short-term studies: If the program or course of study is less than 6 months in duration, you do not need a study permit. However, if you decide to extend your studies beyond the 6-month period, you will need to apply for a study permit.

  • Minor children: If you are a minor child in Canada (under the age of majority set by the province or territory), and one of your parents is allowed to work or study in Canada, you may be eligible to study without a study permit. However, if you want to study at the post-secondary level, you will need a study permit.

    It is important to note that while a study permit may not be required in these situations, other immigration documents, such as a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA), may still be necessary. It is best to check with the official Government of Canada website or a Canadian Immigration Consultant to confirm your eligibility and visa requirements.

Eligibility for Study Permit Application in Canada for Visitors Currently in the Country


If you're currently visiting Canada and wish to study here, you may be eligible to apply for a study permit after entering Canada. However, this depends on the specific circumstances of your visit and educational goals. The following categories of foreign nationals in Canada without a study permit may apply for a study permit, including to change or vary their existing conditions:

  • Students studying at the preschool, primary or secondary level

  • Visiting or exchange students studying at a designated learning institution (DLI)

  • Individuals who have completed a course or program of study that is a prerequisite for their enrollment at a DLI

It's important to note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee that you will be granted a study permit. Additionally, if you're unsure about your eligibility, it's recommended to consult with a qualified Canadian Immigration Consultant for guidance.


Study Permit

bottom of page